22 Jan 2019
As every year, Jan 22nd,2019 observed as the “Prosthodontists’ day”, a proud day for prosthodontists all around the globe. The department of prosthodontics of Rajarajeswari dental college, Bangalore, observed the same with immense enthusiasm.
An art fest called “prosthARTics” was conducted for the students, including under and post graduates, faculty and staff from all other departments and a series of events was conducted for the general public to create awareness and enhance interest in the subject.
1. A basic “prosthodontic quiz” called “Decrypt prostho” was held at the department.
2. A “teeth arrangement” competition named as “bite by byte” was organized where the participants were given 90 minutes for entire class I teeth arrangement followed by carving, festooning and polishing.
3. A “collage competition” called “precision attachment” was organized and the participants were required to make a collage on the topic “geriatrics going the young way” which was given on spot to the participants.
4. A wax block carving competition called “Carve off spee” was organized where a theme was not given but the participants were left to be creative behind their carver and a miniature wax block.
5. A Rangoli competition called “Hues” was organized as the combination of colors still have an impact on our minds. The topic given for the competition was “decoding prosthodontics: a magical mystery”.
6. A “public awareness” programme prepared by the department of Prosthodontics was held on Jan 29th,2019.
The day began with a walkathon with display of placards and banners which read of awareness about the profession. Active participants by the head of the department, faculty & staff, all post graduates and interns posted in the department was observed. A well formulated street play was performed which included education and awareness about prosthodontics to general public in the local language.
Denture insertion in the department was done where 50 complete dentures were inserted on the same day for the patients. The event was inaugurated and appreciated by our honorable chief guest, Dr Prafulla Thumati sir and our dean of the college Dr Edwin Devadoss.
We followed the day with an enlightening speech by our beloved head of the department Dr Gautam Shetty sir, who threw light on the facts and figures and the milestones achieved by the department throughout the year.
Our chief guest, Dr Prafulla Thumati who is also an expert in the orofacial pain department along with being an experienced prosthodontist for over 25 years, then threw light on the heights that the subject has reached, its importance and future prospects.
A release of Prosthodontic calendar which was made by the efforts of final year BDS students was done by our respected Dean sir.
Event was followed by a few more motivational speeches by our principal & vice principal followed by which a valedictory function was held to felicitate all winners.
For patient education, a health talk was organized by the second year post graduate students of the department in the local language assisted with audio visual aids to enhance knowledge on geriatric nutrition & use & maintenance of removable & fixed prostheses.
A few of the patients were felicitated during the event as a gesture of gratitude by the doctors as we all know “a doctor is a good or a bad doctor only because of his patient”. A few of the patients also took self-initiatives to come forward at the dais and say a few words about their before and after treatment experience. It was a moment of immense satisfaction for all doctors, especially prosthodontists present there to see their patients brimming with joy post treatment.
The event ended with a warm vote of thanks to one and all who made it all a huge success.